Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Dear retail job, you are evil.

Lessons learned at in retail:
~Don't drink the water-
So far there are six(6) women pregnant that work at my store, plus I believe two of the guys have significant others who are expecting as well. So, regardless of the fact the my fiancee is in Iraq, I'll bring my own water to work ;-)
~Wearing a 'radio' has it's ups and downs-
As I work in the housewares department (biggest dept. in the store) and have the 'privilege' of supporting the three other departments in the basement, I wear a radio on my hip. This is cool because then I can always have access to supervisors and my other housewares ladies. I also get to hear all the ridiculous crap that goes out over the 'waves'. BUT, I am NEVER unavailable. I can't go hide like the others. And everyone knows that and takes advantage of it. Sigh.
~People can be rude/stupid/demanding/unacceptably ignorant-
I can't really pick a favorite story, so I'll gloss over a few. We are under renovation. We switched the mens and the women's departments. Now women's in on the main level and mens is on the 2nd floor. Commentary includes: "I HATE it. It takes more time out of my day to have to go down a floor just to shop!"(hmmmm) or "As a woman, I feel very uncomfortable buying bras from male employees in the men's department"(if you were 13 I might feel a little for you. But by age 18 you should grow up and know that men KNOW that women WEAR BRAS! GASP!) Oh another good one is when people get mad that we don't have items in stock. We have no control over how much we get sent. We also cannot read minds and predict that you are going to come in and want to buy that last fabric steamer, so we shouldn't sell it to Myrtle.
~Anything that you fix will be messed up again soon-
It's just the reality of retail. It sucks. It's annoying. Move on and smile at the customers who are making a HUGE mess. It makes them uncomfortable. Heh heh.
~Typically, we know what we are talking about, thanks-
One of my biggest peeves is when a customer looks at me condescendingly, tips there head to the side, rolls their eyes and says "uhm, no." after I tell them an answer to their question. I DO actually KNOW what I am talking about haha. Oh, or when they say "well you used to...". Okay, cool. But, we don't now, and there isn't anything I can do to change it. Sorry.
~ALWAYS have hand sanitizer available-
I won't horrify you with some of the things I have found shoved in between rugs, or in the fitting room, or even right out in the middle of the isle. But just know, I have to handle some pretty UNSANITARY things. Ew.

Okay, thats all I got on the topic.
Thanks for reading, if anyone did? haha

No comments: